Sunday, July 24, 2011

My Mother's Daughter

No one would believe I was related to my mother and sisters if I didn't make a couple of things for the baby myself. Knitting is more my genre than sewing. Electrified needles are outside my skill set.
This spring I took a class at my favorite local knitting shop to tackle the art of fair isle. Multi-colored patterns in the same row are something I struggle with so I was happy to learn some tricks to make it easier. I made this sweater in a pattern called Ella Funt. This weekend, thanks to the heat and my desire to stay indoors, I got the buttons purchased and sewn on.
A few weeks ago a came across this pattern for a little romper and hat and I decided it would be a great coming-home-from-the-hospital ensemble. This one also got the finishing touches this weekend due to the heat wave. My favorite part about it is that you knit the back so there is extra fabric in the bum area for diapers. Our baby can be as bootilicious as she needs to be and still fit in her clothes.
The pattern knits up pretty quick so if all goes well I'll make her another one for her Christmas Eve attire. I'm not very optimistic about how much knitting I'll be able to do once she arrives, but maybe...

5 comments:

  1. Those are AWESOME. Go you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like a romper for myself... Could you work on that in your free time? Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous. can i get the sweater in a women's large? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to place an order for an elephant sweater in size S... for women, that is. This way, my niece and I can match! :)
    love,
    Bebs

    ReplyDelete